Re: Export table to comma delimited file?

From: gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca <Gary>
Date: 1995/09/08

> dwest_at_ad3100.ada.epa.gov (Dan West) writes:
> Is there a simple way to export an Oracle 7 table to a comma delimited
> ASCII file? I need to transport data from Oracle on a UNIX system to
> FoxPro on a PC. SQL*Loader allows me to import data in this format but
> I can't seem to find a way to export in this format short of having to
> specify every field and use concat with a select statement or writing
> an embedded SQL C program.

> --
> Dan West
> dwest_at_ad3100.ada.epa.gov

Dan,

I've used non-Oracle desktop apps like PowerBuilder, Impromptu (even Excel and Word) to talk directly to a back-end Oracle database (i.e. using Glue, ODBC or native Oracle Drivers) on a networked unix platform.  I don't know FoxPro, but I would guess that it can use either ODBC or native Oracle to see the database tables as 'live' tables.

Of course, this assumes that your unix box is somehow networked with your PC, and you have SQL*Net running on it. Would this be an option?

If not, I remember a few postings this past month that explained (in detail) how to use SQL*Plus environment settings and SQL commands to generate formatted listings. Try looking at last month's postings....

P.S. The lack of a SQL*Unloader utility has been a common complaint among us Oracle users, and I *think* that Oracle has promised it in an upcoming release (... but don't quote me on that =8^)

Gary Wong (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca)
Information Technology Consultant
(604) 360-1699 (Voice)
(604) 384-1178 (Fax) Received on Fri Sep 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message