Re: Export table to comma delimited file?

From: Simon Thompson <scthomp_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/09/13

In message <42p9cf$hc5_at_pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk> - Mark Clark <mc_at_pst.bt.co.uk> writes:
:>
:>>Is there a simple way to export an Oracle 7 table to a comma delimited
:>>ASCII file? I need to transport data from Oracle on a UNIX system to
:>>FoxPro on a PC. SQL*Loader allows me to import data in this format but
:>>I can't seem to find a way to export in this format short of having to
:>>specify every field and use concat with a select statement or writing
:>>an embedded SQL C program.

:>spool filename
:>select column1 ||','|| column2 ||','|| column3 etc..
:>spoo off
:>
:>This will provide you with a comma delimted file with the columns you require
:>in it. I've not tested it but have used similar methods many times before.

The problem with this soluktion is that each line has trailing spaces up to the linesize. ASCII delimited is often much smaller withour them.

Uou can use Oracle Browser (unless the number of rows exceeds the Browser limit). Or Paradox. Or Excel.

| Simon Thompson

| Christchurch
| New Zealand Received on Wed Sep 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message