Re: Upgrading from 7.0.15 to 7.1.3

From: Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1994 08:04:23 GMT

In comp.databases.oracle you write:

> We've recently upgraded from 7.0.15 to 7.1.3. Unfortunately, we found
> out about the EXPORT bug after the fact (this is the bug that allows
> you to export data from a 7.1.3 table, but not import it until you've
> fixed the catexp.sql script and have run it, all this before the export
> takes place).

> Can anyone give me any insights into any other bugs I should be on the
> lookout for?

yes, some things we encountered were (on HP-UX 9.04/Oracle 7.1.3):

  • import * using the fast 2task driver you will ** NOT ** be notified for a possible space shortage in your tablespace, it just hangs forever
  • export * the default for STATISTICS parameter = YES, so if you omit this one and you're importing very large tables, import can take quite a long time
  • rdbms * we set init.ora session_cached_cursors (50) and had 3 databases crashes with a ORA-00600 [4414]. This happened irregularly. We turned it off and hope these very painfull events won't happen again (we have 150 concurrent logins, which means 150 phonecalls ...). Advise: be carefull using nondefault values for init.ora * in spite of a patch from Oracle (7.1.3 --> 7.1.3.2) we didn't succeed yet in turning on async I/O (although it seems like this is a HP-UX problem) * in background_dump_dest you'll notice very large dbwr trace files appearing. They'll grow up to max_dump_file_size. Not alarming, though, apart from disk usage. * a shutdown immediate might result in a ORA-00600 [730] [space leak], though nothing seem to be damaged after startup. * we noticed some ORA-00600 [17271] [instantiation space leak] in alert and user trace files

What really bugged us were those ORA-00600 [4414] errors. One advice we got from our Oracle representative (not technical support) was to downgrade to 7.0.16. Of course, this is unacceptable, unless these errors keep happening over and over again and OTS or developement are not able to patch this.

Hope this helps answering your question!

Regards,

Andre van Winssen

--
Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Ideta b.v., Frankemaheerd 6, 1102 AN Amsterdam, the Netherlands