Re: Keeping Passwords Secure

From: Kjartan Gudmundsson <kjartang_at_isbank.is>
Date: 16 Sep 1994 20:22:02 -0000

In <358u4n$kql_at_lorne.stir.ac.uk> sam_at_cs.stir.ac.uk (Sam Nelson) writes:

>In article <1994Sep14.193534.1_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>, jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com writes:
>> Have you thought about using OPS$ accounts? This would require that you have a
>> separate unix ID for each user. I would assume that you have this, otherwise
>> the students would be able to see each other's text files.
>>
>I started off with OPS$. Unfortunately, when you conect to Oracle via SQL*Net,
>`identified externally' accounts are meaningless, because you could easily
>have a user with a remote Unix account, an Oracle account, but no local Unix
>account on the Oracle server.

In my sql*net book (sql*net tcp/ip 1.2) they talk about proxy logins. You can select which nodes can connect, and you can enable proxy_logins, you can also set up a user map file.

extract from the book
sqlnet validnode = libra
sqlnet orasrv_dflt_user = username
or
sqlnet orasrv_dflt_user (disables default user) sqlnet username c_username = username

Intrestingly this is only under the VMS part of the book. Mayby someone from Oracle can tell us if this is just for VMS users.

And if some one from oracle that knows about sql*net reads this, then what about logins from pc's on a novell netware lan connecting to unix (or vms) host. I know from messages here in c.d.o that sqlnet logins to Oracle running on netware can use the OPS$. I don't have oracle on netware but some clients are using sql*net from pc's on netware to oracle on unix and vms and would love to have proxy logins there.

Kjartan. Received on Fri Sep 16 1994 - 22:22:02 CEST

Original text of this message