Need Comparisons of Oracle 7 and Sybase 10

From: Brian Ross <bross_at_ilx.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 13:36:55 GMT

I'm looking for comparisons of Sybase Release 10 and Oracle Release 7. In particular I'm hoping for comparisons on performance, integrity, tools, security, APIs, customer support, etc for these two vendors.

I recently received a matrix comparing the technical capabilities of Oracle, Sybase, Informix and Ingres. It was very thorough. It looked like

Performance Capabilities        Oracle   Sybase   Informix   Ingres
1. Row Level Locking		  Y         N       etc        etc
2. Page Level Locking             N         Y
3. etc

However, it compared Oracle 7 with Sybase 4.9, not Sybase 10. And, I do not need info on Informix or Ingres.

My company is about to start benchmarking Oracle and Sybase with our existing applications. While we expect our benchmarks to tell us a great deal, we would benefit greatly from your help if you have already compared the technical merits of these products and the customer support of these vendors.

All comments welcome. Please help. Thanks.

brian ross
bross_at_ilx.com Received on Fri Sep 16 1994 - 15:36:55 CEST

Original text of this message