Re: Keeping Passwords Secure

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 14 Sep 1994 20:59:05 GMT

rkrishna_at_us.oracle.com (Ramesh (cntr - rfisher) Krishnamurthy) writes:

:Try something like this
:setenv UID user1
:setenv PWD user1
:and in the scripts use sqlplus $UID/$PWD
:If all the users are using the same unix login userids , then write a small
:shell script in /etc/profile and prompt for UID and PWD and set the
:environment variables only for that session. This way even the command 'ps'
:will return only $UID/$PWD .

I just checked on SVR4, and ps -ef WILL return the substituted values of $UID and $PWD, so this doesn't hide the account/password sufficiently.

Is there a reason that they can't just type sqplus and then enter their username and password and run their sql scripts with the 'run' or _at_ command? (When I do this, the password is not echoed to the screen.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)