Re: Keeping Passwords Secure

From: Morris Galloway <mmgall_at_admin.presby.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 21:59:33 GMT

In article <358u4n$kql_at_lorne.stir.ac.uk>, Sam Nelson <sam_at_cs.stir.ac.uk> wrote:
> I had some useful suggestions by email
> from David Rolfe (of Sun, apparently?) involving adding some
> whitespace to the front of `username/password' strings until they
> disappear off the end of the command line quoted by `ps'. This
> strategy looks promising. It still doesn't get me past the `looking
> over the shoulder' problem though, and I find it difficult to believe
> that this hasn't been a significant problem elsewhere, let alone
> remained completely unaddressed by Oracle all these years. --

Yes, it is a problem. The whitespace idea is new to me. I've known folks to disable ps, or install a custom one that omits arguments.

I've also recently read that Oracle is looking at some sort of public key or other authentication scheme. Anyone know more about this?

Has anyone seen a way to use a Secure ID smart card with Oracle (other than by relying on OPS$)?

Morris Galloway Jr.                         Internet:  mmgall_at_presby.edu
Dean, Administrative Services                     Phone:  1-803-833-8217
Presbyterian College       503 S. Broad St.      Clinton, SC  29325  USA