ORACLE Backups

From: Gordon Hollingworth <gordon_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 18 Aug 94 23:24:01 +0000

Hi All,

bg> bzy_at_ornl.gov writes: Once you do the "shutdown abort", you should bring the
bg> database back up again and do a regular shutdown. Then do your file
bg> bg> backups. ......Beverly

k> I don't follow the logic of the above advice myself. What difference does
k> it make if you do the startup on the database as it stands immediately
k> before you do a backup or immediately after a restore? In either case you
k> are running the startup against exactly the same files, so, surely, k> you will get exactly the same result..... Keith
bg> "Oracle7 Server Administrator's Guide", page 18-7.
bg> "A full backup cannot be taken if the database is open or has been shut
bg> down because of an instance failure or abort; in such cases, a backup is
bg> not a full backup because the files are not consistent with respect to the
bg> current point- in-time."..... Beverly

Beverly is quite right in what she is saying/quoting. If a database has (been) aborted/failed then it will need to be started up again to sort itself out. Once this is done, then the database can be closed to do a backup as it will be in an orderly state.

With Regards,

Gordon Hollingworth
Oracle DBA/UNIX Administrator.

--
gordon_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk

| The Crystal Tower, Enfield, London 081-447-8244 V21-V32bis,HST |
| InterNet: crystal.dircon.co.uk FidoNet: 2:254/220 |