ORACLE Backups

From: Gordon Hollingworth <gordon_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 20 Aug 94 15:35:00 +0000

Hi Scott,

 rc> I'm not sure if I've seen all the messages in this thread but I
 rc> haven't seen a suggestion for using the IDLE_TIME timeout
 rc> parameter in the profile.  You can set an idle time timeout to
 rc> disconnect users after 1 or 2 hours of inactivity and have your
 rc> backup at an appropriate time after the last users are expected
 rc> to quit working.  Of course this will not work if you have night
 rc> owls on your database. I haven't tried this but it might work.  Set your
 rc> IDLE_TIME parameter in all profiles to 1 hour.  Execute a shutdown normal
 rc> which will keep new users from connecting.  See if the shutdown
 rc> completes 1 hour after the last user is active on the database.
 rc> If this works it might be a solution for some cases to start
 rc> backups after midnight..... Scott Cary

I have tried this before (and IDLE_OUT depending on the flavour of UNIX) and I'll admit that 95% of the time it works. Before this is put into place it is worth testing it to see how it affects any 3rd party applications. Most of the time they close down fine. However, I have also seen that many times, not all of the processes are knocked on the head successfully resulting in runaway processes and tty ports producing a few 'funnies' (eg ghost application screens...Scary :)). One of the solutions I have used to combat this is to write either a shell script or 'C' program that will do a slightly better job. This is a slightly long winded route and should only be done if problems occur using IDLE_TIME (or IDLE_OUT).

The best advice to be given here is; Suck it and see.....

With Regards,
Gordon Hollingworth

| Oracle DBA/UNIX Administrator at Eastbourne Hospitals NHS Trust, England. |
| (soon to be) |
| Oracle/Unix Technical Support at CeaderData Plc., England. |
| Please note: All views expressed are my own and not my employers |
gordon_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk

| The Crystal Tower, Enfield, London 081-447-8244 V21-V32bis,HST |
| InterNet: crystal.dircon.co.uk FidoNet: 2:254/220 |