Re: ORACLE Backups

From: Johan Streun <jstreun_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 19 Aug 1994 10:01:28 GMT

Keith Leng (Keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <32b6pl$506_at_larch.cc.swarthmore.edu>
: stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu "R Glenn Stauffer" writes:

: > bzy_at_ornl.gov writes:
: > >
: > >
: > > Once you do the "shutdown abort", you should bring the database back up again > > and do a regular shutdown. Then do your file backups.
: > >
: > > Beverly
: > >
: >
: > Why is this? ....

: Good question. I don't follow the logic of the above advice myself. What
: difference does it make if you do the startup on the database as it stands
: immediately before you do a backup or immediately after a restore? In either
: case you are running the startup against exactly the same files, so, surely,
: you will get exactly the same result.

Keith,

A reason:
When you want to recover a single tablespace while the rest of the database is up and running you will need consistent backup-sets. In the header of datafiles there is information which is needed for recovery (SCN and that sort a things).
When you are not running in archivelog-mode then the above doesn't apply because you won't be able to do online (single tablespace) recovery in that case.......

Johan van Streun

| Any opinions expressed here are just mine.|         Johan van Streun        |
| I do not represent Oracle Corporation     |             Oracle NL           |
| in this posting.                          |       jstreun_at_nl.oracle.com     |