Re: ORACLE Backups

From: Keith Leng <Keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 1994 17:38:50 +0000

 Leng) writes:
> [...]

 again > > and do a regular shutdown. Then do your file backups.

> >> Good question. I don't follow the logic of the above advice myself. What
> >> difference does it make if you do the startup on the database as it stands
> >> immediately before you do a backup or immediately after a restore? In either
> >> case you are running the startup against exactly the same files, so, surely,
> >> you will get exactly the same result.
> >>
> >> Keith
> >

> > The reason I gave this advice can be found in the Oracle documentation. It
> > may be in earlier versions, but the one I'm looking at now is "Oracle7 Server
> > Administrator's Guide", page 18-7.
> >
> > "A full backup cannot be taken if the database is open or has been shut down
> > because of an instance failure or abort; in such cases, a backup is not a full
> > backup because the files are not consistent with respect to the current point-
> > in-time."
> >

> > +
I agree that it is good practice, and it is advice that I would follow myself. But I still think that the result would be the same whether the start-up was done before a backup or after a restore. I don't understand what the manual is saying in that quote. I would be grateful to anyone who can enlighten me. The backup includes the control and log files so I can see no reason why the recovery procedures wouldn't work after a restore. As far as I know, the timestamps on the various header blocks must be consistent with each other, but have no relation to "the current point in time".

Regards,

Keith Received on Sat Aug 20 1994 - 19:38:50 CEST

Original text of this message