Re: ODBC with Oracle and Informix on the same server.

From: Franz Krojer <franz.krojer_at_mch.sni.de>
Date: 9 Dec 1993 16:08:35 GMT

In article <2dmv1l$fem_at_galileo.polito.it>, badella_at_polec1.polito.it (enrico badella (L.R.)) writes:
> Let me same I don't know much (almost anything) about ODBC so the question
> may be naive or FAQ.
>
> I have a server with both Oracle 6.x and Informix SE and I would like to
> access data from Visual C++ and Visual Basic applications. Up to yesterday
> I was sure that I just had to install an Informix and Oracle OBDC
> server (process) on my server and just call the ODBC methods in my two
> Visual X languages. Yesterday an itinerating consultant came in and told
> us that I will need SQL-Net and xxx (I forgot the Informix product) on
> each PC in order to use OBDC. We have an installed based of more than 200
> PCs so the cost of installing SQL-Net on all would be outrageous compared
> to what the application I'm writing will do.
>
> Thanks for all your suggestion.

Your consultant is right. The ODBC drivers for ORACLE and INFORMIX need the net products SQL*Net and Informix-Net for remote access. But there are alternatives.

We, i.e. Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme, have developed the Database Access Service DBA, which offers among other features DDE and ODBC to different databases (Informix, Oracle, Ingres, SESAM/SQL and UDS/SQL). The net products of the database systems (SQL*Net, Informix-Net, Ingres-Net) are not necessary. DBA offers this access within one product. You do not need one driver for Oracle and another for Informix. DBA.D (the MS-DOS/Windows client of DBA) can be used as ODBC driver for all the mentioned database systems. Additionaly DBA.D offers a DDE interface, an ESQL/C interface and a uniform SQL syntax for all databases.

For more information contact your local SNI branch or contact me or:

Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG
Business Unit BA
Thomas Vogg
D-81730 Muenchen
Tel.: 49 89 636-41179
Fax.: 49 89 636-41024

--
Franz Krojer, SNI BU BA BP 23
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6, D-81730 Muenchen, Germany