Re: ODBC with Oracle and Informix on the same server.

From: Chris Davies <chrisd_at_visionware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 16:39:45 GMT

Jim Gordon (jgordon_at_ssf-sys.dhl.com) wrote:
: > > To clarify this and my other posting I have been informed that the
: > > Visionware product is actually two products. They have an ODBC
: > > product and a network transport product, sold independently, but which
: > > can work together. The network transport product replaces the
: > > database suppliers network tools such as Informix's I-Star/I-Net.

There appears to be a lot of confusion about our ODBC drivers for Informix, Oracle, and Ingres. I'm going to try an explain the architecture here - and answer some common questions - in an attempt to help people understand what's going on. Anyone not interested should skip the rest of this article!

ODBC provides an API for MS-Windows programs to communicate in a generic fashion with database systems. We (VisionWare) provide drivers for Informix, Oracle, and Ingres database systems which reside on UNIX hosts. Other vendors provide drivers for both local and remote database systems (for example dBase and SQL-Server).

ODBC does not specify a method of communication between a PC and the database engine; that is left to the Driver implementation. Our implementation of ODBC neither needs nor uses the database connectivity products such as SQL*Net, Informix-Net or the I-Star alternatives.

In order to achieve communication between the PC and a UNIX host, we have split the ODBC functionality into two components:

  • The PC component is kept as small as possible (to reduce memory consumption) and is independent of the database engine supported at the host end.
  • The host-end component is database specific.

The two components communicate using SunRPC (ONC-RPC if you prefer) over either TCP/IP or a serial line/modem.

We supply a TCP/IP stack as part of the package so that users can get going straightaway without needed to purchase too much extra software. If you prefer to use your own stack then that's no problem - we support most of the commercially available TCP/IP stacks.

Does this help any?
Chris

--
          VISIONWARE LTD, 57 Cardigan Lane, LEEDS LS4 2LE, England
  Tel +44 532 788858.  Fax +44 532 304676.  Email chrisd_at_visionware.co.uk