Re: MS-Windows based tools

From: James G. Baker <jgb_at_prism.gatech.EDU>
Date: 8 Oct 92 04:20:37 GMT

In article <1992Oct7.055014.18461_at_usl.edu> cdc6586_at_usl.edu (Charbonnet Clement D) writes:
>I am currently running Oracle on a Data General AViiON 6220
>with DOS based clients communicating with SQL*Net TCP/IP.
>I am not pleased with the fact that Oracle's tools are not
>compatible with the enhanced mode of MS-Windows which is our
>standard user interface.

It depends how robust your needs are. $300 at Egghead will get you ObjectVision Pro, which has SQL (SQL Server/Sybase, Oracle, etc) access included. It is good for the price, but there are stronger products out there... PowerBuilder is probably the leading one, IMHO, but it is a bit more in cost. I am using MicroSoft Excel via Oracle's DDE Manager to access a server - it certainly has the reporting capabilities, along with dialog boxes, custom menus, etc of Excel 4.0... It might be a good place to start... The DDE Manager (~$300) would let other programs, MS-Word, VisualBASIC, and even some C++ if you want... :-)

There was a review in the September 29 PC Magazine for SQL Front Ends...

Let me know if you need more info... Good luck.

--
James G. Baker                   | Phone: (404) 853-9984
School of Electrical Engineering | GIT: jgb_at_prism, jgb_at_ee, jgb_at_cc, jgb_at_eecom