Re: Recovering ORACLE db after system crash

From: Hans Plambeck <hans_at_iris.mincom.oz.au>
Date: 7 Oct 92 21:25:03 GMT

: I couldn't drop the table because ORACLE told me to put it offline, I
: couldn't alter it offline either, neither could I recover tablespace
: "rollback_segment".

You are right, you can not restore a rollback segment, only ordinary tablespaces  Where would you restore it from ? Redo logs contain roll forward information,  rollback segments contain data to roll backward, thus making sure a database  contains only commited transactions. If redo log is stuffed, you can not  recover or skip it either.

:
: In the end we were desperate so we restored from tape.
:
Wise decision.

: What should I have done?
:
If you are sure (how would you?) that there are no transactions, you might   want to try ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE file-spec OFFLINE, and then forget   about it.

I believe in V7 you can 'mirror' these tablespaces and redo log files,   adding more security. Anyone to comment on this?

--
Hans-J Plambeck   Mincom Pty Ltd       hans_at_mincom.oz.au  +61 (7) 364 9999