Re: MS-Windows based tools

From: Richard Holowczak <holowczk_at_rwja.umdnj.edu>
Date: 13 Oct 92 19:18:40 GMT

jgb_at_prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:

>In article <1992Oct7.055014.18461_at_usl.edu> cdc6586_at_usl.edu (Charbonnet Clement D) writes:
>>I am currently running Oracle on a Data General AViiON 6220
>>with DOS based clients communicating with SQL*Net TCP/IP.
>>I am not pleased with the fact that Oracle's tools are not
>>compatible with the enhanced mode of MS-Windows which is our

                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is conflict between Windows 386-Enhanced mode and the SQLPME program needed to run SQL*Net.

>>standard user interface.

>It depends how robust your needs are. $300 at Egghead will get you
>ObjectVision Pro, which has SQL (SQL Server/Sybase, Oracle, etc)
>access included. It is good for the price, but there are stronger
>products out there... PowerBuilder is probably the leading one, IMHO,
>but it is a bit more in cost. I am using MicroSoft Excel via Oracle's
>DDE Manager to access a server - it certainly has the reporting
>capabilities, along with dialog boxes, custom menus, etc of Excel 4.0...
>It might be a good place to start... The DDE Manager (~$300) would let other
>programs, MS-Word, VisualBASIC, and even some C++ if you want... :-)

>There was a review in the September 29 PC Magazine for SQL Front Ends...

>Let me know if you need more info... Good luck.

All of these are good tools. The question is, do they allow access to Oracle Databases via SQL*Net froom Windows in 386 Enhanced mode. I too am using MS-Excel and can access databases using Windows in Standard mode. I still can't get it to work in 386 Enhanced mode. There was something in the latest ORACLE magazine about this. Oracle also makes Oracle Card for both the Mac and MS-Windows.

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University Received on Tue Oct 13 1992 - 20:18:40 CET

Original text of this message