Re: Terminal types, recognition of...

From: George chow <george_at_unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1992 21:22:37 GMT

In article <1992Aug12.022036.9693_at_oracle.us.oracle.com>, wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com (William Kaufman) writes:
|> In article <1992Aug10.174956.13401_at_unixg.ubc.ca> julia_at_unixg.ubc.ca (Julia Chen) writes:
|> ]
|> ] Can anyone explain how Oracle interprets and treats terminal settings in a
|> ] Unix environment? I work on a Sun IPC with xterm running on a remote Sun 4.
|>
|> (Note that the below only applies to SQL*Forms 3.0, SQL*Menu 5.0,
|> and Oracle*Terminal 1.0, and is fairly UNIX-specific.)
|>
|> If you don't specify a "-c" on the command line, it takes your $TERM
|> environment variable as your terminal, and oraterm.r as your resource
|> file. (This is on UNIX systems--check your platform docs for defaults
|> on other platforms.)
|>
|> ] With my envrionment variable $term set at xterm, none of the Oracle tools will
|> ] recgonize the terminal.
|>
|> Well, it'll look for a terminal named "xterm" in your oraterm.r. If
|> it doesn't find it (and, in the default oraterm.r, it might not), the
|> program will warn you and halt.

Ah, so oraterm.r is an index of sorts...

|> ] I either have to change $term to xtermsun:sun
|>
|> Don't do this! Otherwise, other programs (like vi, for example) may
|> get confused about what kind of terminal you're using, and fail, or get
|> forced into line-mode.

Yes, I know I shouldn't do that. But it *is* one way to get it to go. :)

|> ] or add
|> ] '-c xtermsun:sun' at invocation in order to get Oracle to correctly recgonize
|> ] that I'm on an xterm.
|>
|> That's one solution. If *all* your machine's users are using
|> xterms, though, you can simply rename your sun.r to oraterm.r (save the
|> old one somewhere!), and rename the "xtermsun" terminal listed in there
|> to "xterm" (and save the unmodified sun.r, too!). Then, "xtermsun:sun"
|> becomes "xterm:oraterm", which would be your default.

Maybe I should have said that I was really more interested in the file oraterm.r. I was slightly confused because my ORATERMPATH points to a directory which contains xterm.r, vt100.r, and a few others. Since I know that if I come in from a vt100 terminal that things are okay, I couldn't understand why coming in from an xterm would be different. So, the answer is that oraterm.r needs to have an entry for xterm inside it before it will even start looking for xterm.r.

|> -- Bill K.

|> William P.D. Kaufman Voice: (415) 506-2447 500 Oracle Parkway
|> wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com Fax: (415) 506-7221 Box 659411
|> Tools & Multimedia Redwood Shores, CA 94065

George Received on Wed Aug 12 1992 - 23:22:37 CEST

Original text of this message