Re: Terminal types, recognition of...

From: William Kaufman <wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 12 Aug 92 02:20:36 GMT

In article <1992Aug10.174956.13401_at_unixg.ubc.ca> julia_at_unixg.ubc.ca (Julia Chen) writes:
]
] Can anyone explain how Oracle interprets and treats terminal settings in a
] Unix environment? I work on a Sun IPC with xterm running on a remote Sun 4.

    (Note that the below only applies to SQL*Forms 3.0, SQL*Menu 5.0, and Oracle*Terminal 1.0, and is fairly UNIX-specific.)

   If you don't specify a "-c" on the command line, it takes your $TERM environment variable as your terminal, and oraterm.r as your resource file. (This is on UNIX systems--check your platform docs for defaults on other platforms.)

] With my envrionment variable $term set at xterm, none of the Oracle tools will
] recgonize the terminal.

    Well, it'll look for a terminal named "xterm" in your oraterm.r. If it doesn't find it (and, in the default oraterm.r, it might not), the program will warn you and halt.

] I either have to change $term to xtermsun:sun

    Don't do this! Otherwise, other programs (like vi, for example) may get confused about what kind of terminal you're using, and fail, or get forced into line-mode.

] or add
] '-c xtermsun:sun' at invocation in order to get Oracle to correctly recgonize
] that I'm on an xterm.

    That's one solution. If *all* your machine's users are using xterms, though, you can simply rename your sun.r to oraterm.r (save the old one somewhere!), and rename the "xtermsun" terminal listed in there to "xterm" (and save the unmodified sun.r, too!). Then, "xtermsun:sun" becomes "xterm:oraterm", which would be your default.

  • Bill K.
William P.D. Kaufman         Voice: (415) 506-2447     500 Oracle Parkway
wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com         Fax: (415) 506-7221     Box 659411
Tools & Multimedia                                     Redwood Shores, CA 94065