Re: Terminal types, recognition of...

From: George Lindholm <lindholm_at_ucs.ubc.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1992 20:24:55 GMT

In article <1992Aug10.174956.13401_at_unixg.ubc.ca>, julia_at_unixg.ubc.ca (Julia Chen) writes:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone explain how Oracle interprets and treats terminal settings in a
> Unix environment? I work on a Sun IPC with xterm running on a remote Sun 4.
> With my envrionment variable $term set at xterm, none of the Oracle tools will
> recgonize the terminal. I either have to change $term to xtermsun:sun or add
> '-c xtermsun:sun' at invocation in order to get Oracle to correctly recgonize
> that I'm on an xterm. Why is this so? Is there various flavours of xterm's?

(It would be really nice if all the oracle tools would use the same terminal support, but that's another question).

What I do in my .bashrc file is to define an alias for (say) runform30 that takes care of the -c option:

if [ "$TERM" = "xterm" ]; then

   alias runform30='runform30 -c xtermsun:sun' fi

   George

--
George Lindholm                                  phone:    (604) 822-4375
University Computing Services, UBC               fax:      (604) 822-5116