Re: PL\SQL package creation

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:30:11 -0400

[Quoted] [Quoted] "DCP" <vaagh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f5c10fa85d76815cf0463b1e210193d3_at_localhost.talkaboutdatabases.com...
| Hi,
|
| I have following code:
| (seems very simple but tricky)
|

| 1-- create or replace package testNameConcate
| 2-- is
| 3-- function disp(Name varchar)
| 4-- return varchar;
| 5-- end testNameConcate;
| 6-- /
| 7-- create or replace package body testNameConcate
| 8-- is
| 9-- function disp(Name varchar)
| 10-- return varchar
| 11-- is
| 12-- nm varchar(25);
| 13-- begin
| 14-- nm='Hello ' || Name;
| 15-- return nm;
| 16-- end testNameConcate;
| /
|
| As u see "/" is need at line 6 other wise it gives me an error
|
| PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "CREATE" at line 7
|
| but sill this code is giving me a same error, and now it has problem with
| "/" and error is
|
| PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "/" at line 6
|
| What am i missing here?

code is fine -- it's probably the way you're running it. i would assume that [Quoted] you've got all this code in the SQL buffer and then attempt to execute it as if it is a single SQL statement -- it's actually two SQL statements, so you [Quoted] need to save it to a named script file (not the default afiedt.buf that gets created when you do a plain EDIT in SQL*Plus) and then use '_at_filename' or [Quoted] 'start filename' to execute the script

also: user varchar2 instead of varchar -- oracle's been saying the following [Quoted] since v7 or v6:

"VARCHAR Datatype
"The VARCHAR datatype is currently synonymous with the VARCHAR2 datatype. [Quoted] Oracle recommends that you use VARCHAR2 rather than VARCHAR. In future releases, VARCHAR might be defined as a separate datatype used for variable-length
character strings compared with different comparison semantics."

++ mcs Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 16:30:11 CEST

Original text of this message