Re: Forms/Reports 6 question

From: Jerry Alan Braga <jerry.braga_at_noreply.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 17:26:47 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] I had the same problem, I created an application outside oracle setup the client registry and download to the client dynamically all the forms/reports/plsql/icons etc required. It also creates shortcuts required.

It requires that the client has a mapped drive to some server and it works off an ini file in that mapped drive. If you are interested I can give you a copy. All you have to do is just run this application from the mapped drive and watch it go. You have to have oracle forms/reports already installed as it checks against that and updates the required registry entries. It also requires that the user has Admin access to update the registry, this can get tricky if the clients are W2K or XP.

<XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co> wrote:

> Hi Teresa
>
> >Hi, all;
> >
> >My question is whether you can upload your forms/reports to the
> >database and then have a shortcut on your desktop (windows) that
> >connects to the database and then gets the form it needs from the
> >database and runs it on the client machine.
> >
> >I know that's not worded well, but let me try to make it clearer. We
> >wanted to upgrade Oracle, but the customer said NO. We wanted to
> >migrate the Forms/Reports to the web, but customer said NO. Okay, so
> >we still have Oracle 8.1.5 on win2kserver, we still have Forms/Reports
> >6. The server is here at our office, the people who have to connect
> >to it are down the street and use Net8 to connect. As you know,
> >anytime any changes are made to the code, we have to go to the
> >people's office to update the files on each computer that accesses the
> >database.
> >
> >What we have now is a shortcut on the desktop that goes to the .fmx
> >file that starts everything. That file is in a local directory. What
> >we *want*, and it may be just a fantasy, is for that shortcut to,
> >maybe, call a local .fmx that just connects to the database using the
> >same Net8 connection, but then downloads whatever forms are needed to
> >do whatever needs doing. When the program closes, everything
> >disappears from the machine except what was there at the start.
> >
> >The question is, *is this possible*? We *can't* convert to web based.
> >We *can't* update Oracle. I know all about this version not being
> >supported on this that and the other, and that it's deprecated...
> >Nothing I can do about all that. The only way we can think of to take
> >some of the stress out of this is to make this work, sorta making the
> >client/server act like web based.
> >
> >And of course I couldn't find any information in the Forms/Reports
> >documentation, either at otn.com or on what we have here.
> >
> >Thanks,
>
> We have a network here and the forms/reports are all at one single place.
I work at a central office
> coding these forms/reports and there are five more offices around town
that uses them. What we do is
> we have a dedicated line conecting all the offices. All the other offices
have to do is map a drive
> (drive E: in our case) and that drive points to the location where all the
forms are on our server,
> the client just have a windows shortcut on their desktops to access
"mainmenu.fmx". It gets slow
> sometimes, but works and everything is at E: drive and nothing gets
downloaded and nothing is at the
> client workstation. The biggest work is configure the win registry on the
client machines to get the
> templates, icons, forms and all those paths to point the correct place.
You might want to talk with