Re: Forms/Reports 6 question

From: Anna C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 18:44:48 -0700

Teresa Redmond wrote:

> Comments inline:
>
> On Sat, 08 May 2004 17:26:47 GMT, in comp.databases.oracle.tools,
> "Jerry Alan Braga" <jerry.braga_at_noreply.com> scribbled:
>

>>I had the same problem, I created an application outside oracle setup the
>>client registry and download to the client dynamically all the
>>forms/reports/plsql/icons etc required. It also creates shortcuts required.
>>
>>It requires that the client has a mapped drive to some server and it works
>>off an ini file in that mapped drive. If you are interested I can give you
>>a copy. All you have to do is just run this application from the mapped
>>drive and watch it go. You have to have oracle forms/reports already
>>installed as it checks against that and updates the required registry
>>entries. It also requires that the user has Admin access to update the
>>registry, this can get tricky if the clients are W2K or XP.
>

> The machines are either win2k or XP and when installing any forms
> updates, we do have admin privs.  That's not a problem.  More below.
>

>>"Tiago Rocha" <please.see.link.at.signature.for.email.address_at_zaz.com.br>
>>wrote in message news:5aqn90h4t1mp6vghr2drpo0mj06tf7phlc_at_4ax.com...
>>
>>>We have a network here and the forms/reports are all at one single place.
>>
>>I work at a central office
>>
>>>coding these forms/reports and there are five more offices around town
>>
>>that uses them. What we do is
>>
>>>we have a dedicated line conecting all the offices. All the other offices
>>
>>have to do is map a drive
>>
>>>(drive E: in our case) and that drive points to the location where all the
>>
>>forms are on our server,
>>
>>>the client just have a windows shortcut on their desktops to access
>>
>>"mainmenu.fmx". It gets slow

[Quoted] > I have created applications like this, using VB on Access (before I
> got to work with Oracle) over a network.  Unfortunately, this is not a
> LAN connection (sorry I didn't explain properly).  What we have is a
> shortcut on the desktop to the main form, which is kept in the local
> directory.  We also have the registry setup that Forms does, and the
> Net8 connection that tells the forms the IP address to look for the
> database.  What I'd like is for the main form to be able to download
> subsequent forms from the database as needed, in a way acting like a
> web page but without using a browser or HTTP at all.  Acting just like
> you guys described but over internet, not over LAN.  Possible?

Yes if you don't care about security.
Just open up file sharing on corporate server to ANY connection request. [Quoted] How do you plan on controlling who can connect to your corporate server over the Internet?
[Quoted] Would any of these client PCs be using DHCP or NAT'ed IP addresses? [Quoted] What's wrong with WebForms anyways? They'd solve most of your problems. Received on Sun May 09 2004 - 03:44:48 CEST

Original text of this message