Re: Forms/Reports 6 question

From: Teresa Redmond <XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 22:48:46 GMT

Comments inline:

On Sat, 08 May 2004 17:26:47 GMT, in comp.databases.oracle.tools, "Jerry Alan Braga" <jerry.braga_at_noreply.com> scribbled:

>I had the same problem, I created an application outside oracle setup the
>client registry and download to the client dynamically all the
>forms/reports/plsql/icons etc required. It also creates shortcuts required.
>
>It requires that the client has a mapped drive to some server and it works
>off an ini file in that mapped drive. If you are interested I can give you
>a copy. All you have to do is just run this application from the mapped
>drive and watch it go. You have to have oracle forms/reports already
>installed as it checks against that and updates the required registry
>entries. It also requires that the user has Admin access to update the
>registry, this can get tricky if the clients are W2K or XP.

The machines are either win2k or XP and when installing any forms updates, we do have admin privs. That's not a problem. More below.

>"Tiago Rocha" <please.see.link.at.signature.for.email.address_at_zaz.com.br>
>wrote in message news:5aqn90h4t1mp6vghr2drpo0mj06tf7phlc_at_4ax.com...
>>
>> We have a network here and the forms/reports are all at one single place.
>I work at a central office
>> coding these forms/reports and there are five more offices around town
>that uses them. What we do is
>> we have a dedicated line conecting all the offices. All the other offices
>have to do is map a drive
>> (drive E: in our case) and that drive points to the location where all the
>forms are on our server,
>> the client just have a windows shortcut on their desktops to access
>"mainmenu.fmx". It gets slow

I have created applications like this, using VB on Access (before I got to work with Oracle) over a network. Unfortunately, this is not a LAN connection (sorry I didn't explain properly). What we have is a shortcut on the desktop to the main form, which is kept in the local directory. We also have the registry setup that Forms does, and the Net8 connection that tells the forms the IP address to look for the database. What I'd like is for the main form to be able to download subsequent forms from the database as needed, in a way acting like a web page but without using a browser or HTTP at all. Acting just like you guys described but over internet, not over LAN. Possible?

>> sometimes, but works and everything is at E: drive and nothing gets
>downloaded and nothing is at the
>> client workstation. The biggest work is configure the win registry on the
>client machines to get the
>> templates, icons, forms and all those paths to point the correct place.
>You might want to talk with
>> the telephone company to install a high speed direct line...

The customer won't put any money toward this, I can guarantee.

>>There are
>some firewall configurations,

My company won't allow this, also guaranteed.

>> but I let those to the network maintenance crew, so I don't know nothing
>about this. Hope this helps
>> some way, sorry for my bad english.

Not bad at all!!!

--