Re: Forms/Reports 6 question

From: Tiago Rocha <please.see.link.at.signature.for.email.address_at_zaz.com.br>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:01:34 -0300

[Quoted] On Fri, 07 May 2004 19:44:48 GMT, Teresa Redmond <XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co> wrote:

Hi Teresa

>Hi, all;
>
>My question is whether you can upload your forms/reports to the
>database and then have a shortcut on your desktop (windows) that
>connects to the database and then gets the form it needs from the
>database and runs it on the client machine.
>
>I know that's not worded well, but let me try to make it clearer. We
>wanted to upgrade Oracle, but the customer said NO. We wanted to
>migrate the Forms/Reports to the web, but customer said NO. Okay, so
>we still have Oracle 8.1.5 on win2kserver, we still have Forms/Reports
>6. The server is here at our office, the people who have to connect
>to it are down the street and use Net8 to connect. As you know,
>anytime any changes are made to the code, we have to go to the
>people's office to update the files on each computer that accesses the
>database.
>
>What we have now is a shortcut on the desktop that goes to the .fmx
>file that starts everything. That file is in a local directory. What
>we *want*, and it may be just a fantasy, is for that shortcut to,
>maybe, call a local .fmx that just connects to the database using the
>same Net8 connection, but then downloads whatever forms are needed to
>do whatever needs doing. When the program closes, everything
>disappears from the machine except what was there at the start.
>
>The question is, *is this possible*? We *can't* convert to web based.
>We *can't* update Oracle. I know all about this version not being
>supported on this that and the other, and that it's deprecated...
>Nothing I can do about all that. The only way we can think of to take
>some of the stress out of this is to make this work, sorta making the
>client/server act like web based.
>
>And of course I couldn't find any information in the Forms/Reports
>documentation, either at otn.com or on what we have here.
>
>Thanks,

We have a network here and the forms/reports are all at one single place. I work at a central office [Quoted] coding these forms/reports and there are five more offices around town that uses them. What we do is [Quoted] we have a dedicated line conecting all the offices. All the other offices have to do is map a drive [Quoted] (drive E: in our case) and that drive points to the location where all the forms are on our server, [Quoted] the client just have a windows shortcut on their desktops to access "mainmenu.fmx". It gets slow [Quoted] [Quoted] sometimes, but works and everything is at E: drive and nothing gets downloaded and nothing is at the [Quoted] client workstation. The biggest work is configure the win registry on the client machines to get the [Quoted] templates, icons, forms and all those paths to point the correct place. You might want to talk with [Quoted] [Quoted] the telephone company to install a high speed direct line... There are some firewall configurations, [Quoted] [Quoted] but I let those to the network maintenance crew, so I don't know nothing about this. Hope this helps [Quoted] some way, sorry for my bad english.

--
Tiago Rocha
Recife - Brasil