Forms/Reports 6 question

From: Teresa Redmond <XKEAAGIPVIEZ_at_spammotel.co>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 19:44:48 GMT

[Quoted] Hi, all;

[Quoted] My question is whether you can upload your forms/reports to the database and then have a shortcut on your desktop (windows) that connects to the database and then gets the form it needs from the database and runs it on the client machine.

I know that's not worded well, but let me try to make it clearer. We wanted to upgrade Oracle, but the customer said NO. We wanted to migrate the Forms/Reports to the web, but customer said NO. Okay, so we still have Oracle 8.1.5 on win2kserver, we still have Forms/Reports 6. The server is here at our office, the people who have to connect to it are down the street and use Net8 to connect. As you know, anytime any changes are made to the code, we have to go to the people's office to update the files on each computer that accesses the database.

What we have now is a shortcut on the desktop that goes to the .fmx file that starts everything. That file is in a local directory. What we *want*, and it may be just a fantasy, is for that shortcut to, maybe, call a local .fmx that just connects to the database using the same Net8 connection, but then downloads whatever forms are needed to do whatever needs doing. When the program closes, everything disappears from the machine except what was there at the start.

The question is, *is this possible*? We *can't* convert to web based. We *can't* update Oracle. I know all about this version not being supported on this that and the other, and that it's deprecated... Nothing I can do about all that. The only way we can think of to take some of the stress out of this is to make this work, sorta making the client/server act like web based.

And of course I couldn't find any information in the Forms/Reports documentation, either at otn.com or on what we have here.

Thanks,

--
Teresa Redmond