Regarding Oracle version upgrading questions

From: <jshen.cad_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 07:07:31 -0800 (PST)

hi,

  we are considering seriously on upgrading our database server.

  Current database runs on HP-UX 11.11, 20CPU and 36GB RAM. The version is Oracle8.1.7.
  To system running records, we met Ora-600 error frequently. There is always sequent read and latch waiting in system. We also found, if we allocate more DRAM to shared pool the overall performance degrades.

  There exist debate on upgrading Oracle8.1.7 to higher version. Some guys says there should be little internal technique improvement, and oracle10g , oracle11g only improve with management tools which just means alot to business analysis. While kernel algo. and mechanism did not improve at all.

  We'd like hear from those who have upgrade their oracle server , that

  1. did oracle 10g or oracle11g just mean to improve business report tools?
  2. did oracle 10g and oracle11g improve with performance?
  3. did oracle 10g and oracle11g improve with reliablity and monitoring tools ?

  each word will be highly appreciated !

Joe Received on Mon Jan 26 2009 - 09:07:31 CST

Original text of this message