Re: Regarding Oracle version upgrading questions

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:01:55 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 10:07 am, "jshen...._at_gmail.com" <jshen...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
>   we are considering seriously on upgrading our database server.
>
>   Current  database runs on HP-UX 11.11, 20CPU and  36GB RAM. The
> version is Oracle8.1.7.
>   To system running records,  we met Ora-600 error frequently. There
> is always sequent read and latch waiting in system. We also found, if
> we allocate more DRAM to shared pool the overall performance degrades.
>
>   There exist debate on upgrading Oracle8.1.7 to higher version. Some
> guys  says there should be little internal technique improvement, and
> oracle10g , oracle11g only improve with management tools which just
> means alot to business analysis. While kernel algo. and mechanism did
> not improve at all.
>
>   We'd like hear  from those who have upgrade their oracle server ,
> that
>
>   1. did oracle 10g or oracle11g just mean to improve business report
> tools?

Oracle corp put a lot more into each release past 8.1.7 than just improving business reporting tools.

>   2. did oracle 10g and oracle11g improve with performance?

Certainly but mileage will vary based on what features of Oracle you use.

>   3. did oracle 10g and oracle11g improve with reliablity and
> monitoring tools ?

Not sure what you are asking in that question. The monitoring tools do keep changing.

>   each word will be highly appreciated !
>
> Joe

You probably need to start with a testing plan and have some way of carefully checking out the direction you are thinking about going in. HPUX was at one time a favorite platform for oracle as was sun ( solaris ) but the direction has tipped noticeably in favor of linux.

It is going to take a management commitment to come up with resources to test this kind of upgrade adequately.

Are you still planning on running on HPUX? Received on Mon Jan 26 2009 - 10:01:55 CST

Original text of this message