Re: Regarding Oracle version upgrading questions

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:45:10 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 7:07 am, "jshen...._at_gmail.com" <jshen...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
>   we are considering seriously on upgrading our database server.
>
>   Current  database runs on HP-UX 11.11, 20CPU and  36GB RAM. The
> version is Oracle8.1.7.
>   To system running records,  we met Ora-600 error frequently. There
> is always sequent read and latch waiting in system. We also found, if
> we allocate more DRAM to shared pool the overall performance degrades.
>
>   There exist debate on upgrading Oracle8.1.7 to higher version. Some
> guys  says there should be little internal technique improvement, and
> oracle10g , oracle11g only improve with management tools which just
> means alot to business analysis. While kernel algo. and mechanism did
> not improve at all.
>
>   We'd like hear  from those who have upgrade their oracle server ,
> that
>
>   1. did oracle 10g or oracle11g just mean to improve business report
> tools?
>
>   2. did oracle 10g and oracle11g improve with performance?
>
>   3. did oracle 10g and oracle11g improve with reliablity and
> monitoring tools ?
>
>   each word will be highly appreciated !
>
> Joe

As the others said or implied, it depends. The biggest question that I see is whether your code is all written for rule-based optimization. That could likely be a problem. However, note there are some compatibility options, I don't know offhand how many are left in 10g for 8i.

My own experience shepherding a particular ERP up through hp-ux 11.23 and Oracle 10g has been better performance, although some parts of the voyage included hardware upgrades at the same time. Nearly all things worked with the optimizer, just a few things required changes due to that. The vendor also made use of some few new features, which helped.

No offense, but I personally consider getting that far out of date bad business analysis on its face. Your "some guys" don't know what they are talking about. There are many new internal mechanisms to improve performance. What's wrong with "sequent read" anyways? Are you referring to the Oracle waits that mean you are using the index? Or are you referring to some I/O thing?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a5sa8Cqwaa_Q&refer=home