Re: Any chance to surpass 4000 character limit?

From: <stegemann_at_naviga.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 06:27:28 -0800 (PST)

On 26 Jan., 13:11, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <vladimir.zakharyc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> CLOB and an Oracle Text index over it should do the trick. You will
> need to change the way you *search* that column though (use CONTAINS()
> operator instead of LIKE/REGEXP_LIKE,) so this might not be an option
> for you.

Hi Vladimir,
thanks for that idea, I have to check this. Our applications are connecting to several DBMS depending on customer preferences, besides Oracle we also work with MS SQL Server and MySQL. Both of those support longer character columns. We are using ODBC to connect to the database and of course we prefer to use the same generated SQL statements when dealing with any DBMS, but on the other hand sometimes we have to deal with DBMS differences. This might be such a case. With such an indexed CLOB, would it be possible to search for any string within the column or just for whole words? I. e. could I use the Contains() clause just in the same way as a LIKE '%..%' clause? We need to search any sort of character sequence within such a text, for example part of a name.

> By the way, the limit is 4000 BYTES, not CHARACTERS (when working with
> single-byte charsets you might never feel the difference, but as soon
> as you go international you will almost immediately bump into it.)

Thanks for pointing this out, but fortunately this will never be an issue for us, because our apps are created exclusively for our national market.
Cheers
Kay-Viktor Received on Mon Jan 26 2009 - 08:27:28 CST

Original text of this message