Re: 10g License Issue - Development Vs Production License - Enterprise Edition

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:19:16 GMT

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:26:26 -0800, Greg wrote:

>> Is often cheaper to get 'personal edition' for each developer.  It is
>> compatible with Enterprise Edition - including all options except RAC -
>> and is actually very inexpensive.  I've paid a whack more for individual
>> 'enterprise developer' licenses from Borland, Microsoft, and others.

> You might be able to get away with using a person edition for personal
> development, but I'd hate to have to ask my developers to develop an
> enterprise application that is not setup as the production system is.
> (not saying it needs to have the same amount of cpu's, memory, etc),
> but it should be setup in the same fashion for CORRECT development (but
> that is totally a personal preference).

Personal Edition *IS* Enterprise Edition licensed for a single developer. There is nothing 'personal' about it except the licnse limitation. For confirmation, I'd encourage review of the 'licensing' document (for 9i it'as at
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96531/ch5_edit.htm#73594 and for 10g it's
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/toc.htm)

I would hate to ask mamangement to pay for enterprise licenses for development when personal licenses are available to exactly the same feature and capability level at a fraction of the cost. And have flexibility for deployment.

To assist, here is an extract

"Oracle Database Personal Edition Oracle Database Personal Edition supports single-user development and deployment environments that require full compatibility with Oracle Database Standard Edition One, Oracle Database Standard Edition, and Oracle Database Enterprise Edition.

Personal Edition includes all of the components that are included with Enterprise Edition, as well as all of the options that are available with Enterprise Edition, with the exception of the Oracle Real Application Clusters option, which cannot be used with Personal Edition. Personal Edition is available on Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 (32-bit and 64-bit versions). The Management Packs are not included in Personal Edition.
"

> Licensing on standard edition strictly states that if the machine can
> hold more than 4 physical CPU's, it must have an enterprise edition
> license. You might want to call Oracle to verfiy this, but I know 100%

We do not disagree. ... standard edition can only be licensed to a total of 4 CPU and all CPU on all machines involved must be licensed.

There are two things raised by our statements:

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com