Re: 10g License Issue - Development Vs Production License - Enterprise Edition

From: Greg <gregcpx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2006 09:26:26 -0800

> Is often cheaper to get 'personal edition' for each developer. It is
> compatible with Enterprise Edition - including all options except RAC -
> and is actually very inexpensive. I've paid a whack more for individual
> 'enterprise developer' licenses from Borland, Microsoft, and others.

You might be able to get away with using a person edition for personal development, but I'd hate to have to ask my developers to develop an enterprise application that is not setup as the production system is. (not saying it needs to have the same amount of cpu's, memory, etc), but it should be setup in the same fashion for CORRECT development (but that is totally a personal preference).

Licensing on standard edition strictly states that if the machine can hold more than 4 physical CPU's, it must have an enterprise edition license. You might want to call Oracle to verfiy this, but I know 100% sure that this is the case for their standard edition vs. enterprise edition. I think you are debating fine grain details. Of course, if you have 1, 2, 3, 4, or 32 CPU's in the machine, all CPU's must be licensed (either as a per processor or named user)...that is a given, but what is not understood is if you have a machine that can physically hold say 8 CPU's and you only have 4 CPU's in the machine, you must license all 4 CPU's, but using ENTERPRISE edition because the machine can physically hold more that 4 CPU's. Received on Wed Mar 15 2006 - 11:26:26 CST