Re: how does Oracle do field comparisons with good performance ?

From: Jim Kennedy <jim>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:07:14 -0800

"Jack" <jack_posemsky_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1142398525.601071.252370_at_i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Jim Kennedy wrote:
> > "Jack" <jack_posemsky_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Setting aside indexes, does anyone know how the technical Oracle
> > > internals do row by row, field by field compares of data for a join
> > > between 2 tables with decent performance ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jack
> > >
> > Have you read the documentation? There is a lot of well organized
> > information in there. What is your business problem that you are trying
> > solve or understand?
> > Jim
>
> Yes but the documentation does not explain how the algorithms / low
> level code works under the hood to actually enable a join to occur..
>
> Can you tell me how it works in detail ?
>
> thanks,
> jack

What business problem are you trying to solve? There is a ton of information in the documentation. (eg hash joins, nested loops, etc.) It really depends. It also depends on what version of Oracle etc. (are there indexes, are there statistics, etc.) You are asking for a highly detailed question and have not given any evidence of even reading the documentation. This sounds a lot like homework.

Make some efforts first.
Jim Received on Wed Mar 15 2006 - 00:07:14 CST