Re: how does Oracle do field comparisons with good performance ?

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:07:59 -0800

Jack wrote:

> Yes but the documentation does not explain how the algorithms / low
> level code works under the hood to actually enable a join to occur..
>
> Can you tell me how it works in detail ?
>
> thanks,
> jack

Oracle uses many different join algorithms. Some of them are well known in the industry - such as Nested Loop Sort Merge Joins. Other techniques used include hash joins, cartesian joins, outer joins, bit mapped joins. See
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/optimops.htm#sthref1364 for an overview. The actual specifics of implementations are not docced - they tend to be Oracle's IPR. Received on Wed Mar 15 2006 - 00:07:59 CST