Re: Setting up Oracle 10g & Oracle Spatial / MapViewer for learning single PC

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 05:07:08 GMT

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 15:18:48 -0800, spatialdba wrote:

> 1) DELL Dimension PC Running Windows XP Pro with enough disk space
> 2) Oracle 10g Software Enterprise Edition (downloaded from Oracle
> Technet for learning purposes)
>
> I need to
>
> 1) Install Oracle 10g & Configure it to be able to load data into a
> Spatial Database.
> 2) Install & Configure Map Viewer to be able to look at the data I load
>

> Is this even possible using only my PC? Is the architecture of 10g now
> set up so a real network (more than 1 machine) is required ?

Yes - it is possible. I've done it myself. I use both XP and Linux and have run the examples from the Pro Oracle Spatial book several times.

The easiest way to get started is to use the Oracle By Example tutorials - they walk you thru a typical install using screen shots. Assuming you actually follow the yellow brick road, you will get to the castle of the wizard. (Too often people have 'known better' and gone off the road.)

OBE - start at http://otn.oracle.com - it's under the training menu.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com