Re: Best way to learn Oracle?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:59:20 -0500

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1141572238.089626.51120_at_j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
: jonathan.conway_at_gmail.com wrote:
:
: > I've been in I.T. for a while, but web development isn't so lucrative
: > nowadays.
:
: Aye. Too true.
:
:
: > I'm very interested in learning Oracle as well as doing some Oracle
: > exams.
:
: Welcome. It's a long road, ready for a big ride?
:
: > Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as books, websites,
: > etc.? Based on your own experience learning Oracle?
:
: I learned by myself. Back then we had a few manuals.
: Not even courses...
:
: Suggestion1: do a search in this ng for "learning Oracle".
: You'll find heaps of info.
: Suggestion2: The basic concepts as well as the advanced
: manuals are all available online from Oracle Technology
: Network. Free. All you need is to leave an email
: and register. Oracle doesn't spam.
: Suggestion3: Tom Kyte's books are excellent intros as well
: as good for advanced stuff. Get them, read them from
: end to end.
:
: Then there is a bucket load of other reading to do,
: depending on what area(s) you may want to specialize
: in. No, you can't learn everything in one session:
: the range is enormous.
:
: The best way is to start with the Concepts manual for the
: latest versions (10gr2), read a lot of the posts here, do
: searches for anything that is not clear, if all of that fails
: to answer some specifics, THEN you ask the questions
: here and hopefully someone will have the time to answer.
:
: All replies here are voluntary time put forward by folks
: who have full time jobs, so don't expect immediate
: response. But in general what you get is good stuff.
: And sometimes exceptional.
:
: HTH
:

also the free downloads, and the Oracle By Example series on otn.oracle.com

++ mcs Received on Sun Mar 05 2006 - 09:59:20 CST