Re: Best way to learn Oracle?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 5 Mar 2006 09:31:38 -0800

jonathan.conway_at_gmail.com wrote:
> G'day folks!
>
> I've been in I.T. for a while, but web development isn't so lucrative
> nowadays.
>
> I'm very interested in learning Oracle as well as doing some Oracle
> exams.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as books, websites,
> etc.? Based on your own experience learning Oracle?

Along with the concepts manual, you may want to start with Tom Kyte's lastest book. He gives a good overview of the architecture and how to understand what oracle is doing.

You may want to start with a modest development project ( given your background ) and use oracle as the backend. Then start digging into everything related to the backend.

Most hiring managers these days are extremely skeptical of oracle OCP's that don't have at least several years of working experience as an oracle DBA.

It is not an easy field to break into but anything is possible for a talented motivated person. The demand is slightly up in the US for oracle DBA's but may not be so good in other places depending on supply and demand. Received on Sun Mar 05 2006 - 11:31:38 CST