Re: Best way to learn Oracle?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 5 Mar 2006 07:23:58 -0800

jonathan.conway_at_gmail.com wrote:

> I've been in I.T. for a while, but web development isn't so lucrative
> nowadays.

Aye. Too true.

> I'm very interested in learning Oracle as well as doing some Oracle
> exams.

Welcome. It's a long road, ready for a big ride?

> Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as books, websites,
> etc.? Based on your own experience learning Oracle?

I learned by myself. Back then we had a few manuals. Not even courses...

Suggestion1: do a search in this ng for "learning Oracle". You'll find heaps of info.
Suggestion2: The basic concepts as well as the advanced manuals are all available online from Oracle Technology Network. Free. All you need is to leave an email and register. Oracle doesn't spam.
Suggestion3: Tom Kyte's books are excellent intros as well as good for advanced stuff. Get them, read them from end to end.

Then there is a bucket load of other reading to do, depending on what area(s) you may want to specialize in. No, you can't learn everything in one session: the range is enormous.

The best way is to start with the Concepts manual for the latest versions (10gr2), read a lot of the posts here, do searches for anything that is not clear, if all of that fails to answer some specifics, THEN you ask the questions here and hopefully someone will have the time to answer.

All replies here are voluntary time put forward by folks who have full time jobs, so don't expect immediate response. But in general what you get is good stuff. And sometimes exceptional.

HTH Received on Sun Mar 05 2006 - 09:23:58 CST