DATAFILE??

From: jungwolf <spatenau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:20:46 -0500

On 10/20/05, Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org> wrote:
> This idea that this list or any list is not and never will be a waste
> time, is delusional!
>
> *Actively* participating in this this list (by reading and/or writing)
> is almost 100% waste of time.
> Be honest and ask yourself if your boss was standing behind you during
> all of your time spent participating on this list, would he/she say that
> it was 100% productive from a business perspective?...and more power to
> those DBA's that only participate during non business hours.

I disagree. Every interview I've been in, one of the questions is always, "How do you stay current?" One thing I mention is this list and the DBAs in the room nod their heads. I also mention training is part of the job and some will occur during work hours. Again, heads nod. And, finally, when I send out an email to my group that starts, "Ooo, look what I found on the list," my manager usually smiles and is grateful we're gaining the benefit of others' wisdom.

That's my experience, anyway. I tell my junior DBAs to subscribe and spend some time reading, maybe even research and try to answer some questions.

Steven