Re: How to normalize this?

From: Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:47:27 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:57:08 UTC+11, James K. Lowden wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:01:14 -0800 (PST) Derek Asirvadem wrote:
>
> > Codd's "time-varying relations" are specifically about consistency.
>
> I'm not sure why you say that? I was thinking of, for example,
>
> < one sentence from the RM snipped >

Yeah, sure. Codd used the term five times in that paper.

There is no point quoting one, or the other, or all five, sentences in which he used the term. Doing that would be considering the sentences in isolation. The first two uses are introductions of the concept. The next three uses, in chapter 2 Redundancy & Consistency, are specifically about Database Consistency. Since I specifically mention Consistency, obviously I am referring to the Consistency in chapter 2, and not to the term as a general concept. Breaking up the paper is probably not a good thing. Understanding the whole, and specifically what he meant by "time-varying relations" in chapter 2, may be a good thing to do.

I did not state an isolated sentence:

> > Codd's "time-varying relations" are specifically about consistency.

I stated:

> > Codd's "time-varying relations" are specifically about consistency. Your post is illustrative enough without making the reference. Your answer is about Constraints, and sensible ones, not "time-varying relations".

Rather than "why do you say that?", perhaps it is up to you, since you made the reference, and it is being questioned, to identify how your example is related to Codd's "time-varying relations" and Consistency requirements thereof. If you were using the term in a general sense, which now appears to be the case, given that you have quoted the first introduction of it, and not in the particular sense that Codd discussed it in detail (Database Consistency), then just say so.

> ... for those following along at home ...

I don't think anyone cares about the skirmishes you are having with me about minor issues.

Cheers
Derek Received on Thu Feb 14 2013 - 22:47:27 CET

Original text of this message