Re: How to normalize this?

From: James K. Lowden <jklowden_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:57:08 -0500

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:01:14 -0800 (PST) Derek Asirvadem <derek.asirvadem_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> *** These minor points do not subtract from the value of your post,
> which is good. ***

Thank you.

> Codd's "time-varying relations" are specifically about consistency.

I'm not sure why you say that? I was thinking of, for example,

        "The totality of data in a data bank may be viewed as a collection of time-varying relations. These relations are of assorted degrees. As time progresses, each n-ary relation may be subject to insertion of additional n-tuples, deletion of existing ones, and alteration of components of any of its existing n-tuples."

I know I don't have to tell you where that comes from, but for those following along at home, it's from "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks", section 1.3. "A Relational View of Data".

--jkl Received on Thu Feb 14 2013 - 01:57:08 CET

Original text of this message