Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:47:05 -0700

David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

>On Jun 12, 3:46 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That's a false and self-serving dichotomy.
>>
>> He presented it as a hypothetical, not a dichotomy. Since
>> it's not a dichotomy, it can't be a false dichotomy.
>
>Actually it's a standard terminology for considering "black and white"
>situations. See
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dichotomy

     It is also used for setting priorities.

>Gene's question involves a hypothetical dichotomy. I interpreted the
>response as simply saying it's an irrelevant question because the
>antecedent is generally false. If you see relevance in the question,
>what is it exactly?
>
>It's like someone wanting to justify euthanasia and asking: "If you
>had to choose between laws allowing murder and euthanasia, which one
>would you pick?"

     Bad example. Euthanasia might be considered a subset of murder. Neither wisdom nor agreeableness is a subset of the other.

>You're just playing with words.

     I am asking which is the higher priority. Marshall got the point. Some have not.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.