Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:00:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 12, 3:46 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 11:34 am, jaygarri..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Jun 10, 9:55 am, Gene Wirchenko <ge..._at_ocis.net> wrote:
>
> > >If you had to pick one, which would you pick words of wisdom or
> > >agreeableness?
>
> > That's a false and self-serving dichotomy.
>
> He presented it as a hypothetical, not a dichotomy. Since
> it's not a dichotomy, it can't be a false dichotomy.

Actually it's a standard terminology for considering "black and white" situations. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dichotomy

Gene's question involves a hypothetical dichotomy. I interpreted the response as simply saying it's an irrelevant question because the antecedent is generally false. If you see relevance in the question, what is it exactly?

It's like someone wanting to justify euthanasia and asking: "If you had to choose between laws allowing murder and euthanasia, which one would you pick?"

You're just playing with words. Received on Fri Jun 12 2009 - 11:00:29 CEST

Original text of this message