Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:42:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 12, 2:58 am, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Jun 12, 3:46 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd be interested to know what argument won you over - and led you to
> believe that personal attacks could be a good thing.
>
> > The thing you're arguing against is incivility.

Once upon a time in cdt, a choice between style and substance was made manifest in the form of two of the most frequent posters. One of them was entirely pleasant and quite polite, even obsequious at time. I am quite sure that if I knew that person socially, I'd really like them, and invite them over to barbequeues on a regular basis. That person was also entirely anti-theory, and argued *against* any kind of formal understanding.

The other person was Bob. I assume he needs no introduction.

The two argued quite a bit, and Bob was quite harsh. I joined the fray in opposition to Bob. I argued quite forcefully that, in essence, if he couldn't say anything nice he shouldn't say anything at all. My first surprise was that Bob had vast popular support and I didn't. But the big shock was the realization that I was here for database theory (like the sign says on the door) and not pleasantries, and that it actually kind of *did* come down to a choice between one or the other, given how much anti-intellectualism there is to go around. Bob's tirades really do decrease the noise. Once I realized I was wrong, I had no choice but to admit it, painful as it was.

Marshall Received on Fri Jun 12 2009 - 16:42:14 CEST

Original text of this message