Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 00:46:20 -0400

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:2258c4e2-4df7-4641-a6a0-27e2ecaef0e9_at_d25g2000prn.googlegroups.com...
> On Jun 12, 2:58 am, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > On Jun 12, 3:46 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd be interested to know what argument won you over - and led you to
> > believe that personal attacks could be a good thing.
> >
> > > The thing you're arguing against is incivility.
>
> Once upon a time in cdt, a choice between style and substance
> was made manifest in the form of two of the most frequent
> posters. One of them was entirely pleasant and quite polite,
> even obsequious at time. I am quite sure that if I knew that
> person socially, I'd really like them, and invite them over to
> barbequeues on a regular basis. That person was also entirely
> anti-theory, and argued *against* any kind of formal understanding.
>
> The other person was Bob. I assume he needs no introduction.
>
> The two argued quite a bit, and Bob was quite harsh. I joined
> the fray in opposition to Bob. I argued quite forcefully that, in
> essence, if he couldn't say anything nice he shouldn't say anything
> at all. My first surprise was that Bob had vast popular support
> and I didn't. But the big shock was the realization that I was
> here for database theory (like the sign says on the door)
> and not pleasantries, and that it actually kind of *did* come
> down to a choice between one or the other, given how much
> anti-intellectualism there is to go around. Bob's tirades really
> do decrease the noise.

It is not just noise that is decreased. Bob's tirades reduce the volume of all kinds of posts, both those that are noise and those that contain substance. Anyone who has the temerity to question something that Bob believes is met immediately with blistering beratement, belittlement and bullying. How many people with good ideas were driven away? How many keep silent rather than risk one of his tirades? There is a cost to permitting his tirades to continue unopposed.