Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Cimode <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 02:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

On 13 juin, 06:46, "Brian Selzer" <> wrote:
> "Marshall" <> wrote in message
> > On Jun 12, 2:58 am, David BL <> wrote:
> > > On Jun 12, 3:46 pm, Marshall <> wrote:
> > > I'd be interested to know what argument won you over - and led you to
> > > believe that personal attacks could be a good thing.
> > Once upon a time in cdt, a choice between style and substance
> > was made manifest in the form of two of the most frequent
> > posters. One of them was entirely pleasant and quite polite,
> > even obsequious at time. I am quite sure that if I knew that
> > person socially, I'd really like them, and invite them over to
> > barbequeues on a regular basis. That person was also entirely
> > anti-theory, and argued *against* any kind of formal understanding.
> > The other person was Bob. I assume he needs no introduction.
> > The two argued quite a bit, and Bob was quite harsh. I joined
> > the fray in opposition to Bob. I argued quite forcefully that, in
> > essence, if he couldn't say anything nice he shouldn't say anything
> > at all. My first surprise was that Bob had vast popular support
> > and I didn't.  But the big shock was the realization that I was
> > here for database theory (like the sign says on the door)
> > and not pleasantries, and that it actually kind of *did* come
> > down to a choice between one or the other, given how much
> > anti-intellectualism there is to go around. Bob's tirades really
> > do decrease the noise.
> It is not just noise that is decreased.  Bob's tirades reduce the volume of
> all kinds of posts, both those that are noise and those that contain
> substance.  Anyone who has the temerity to question something that Bob
> believes is met immediately with blistering beratement, belittlement and
> bullying.  How many people with good ideas were driven away?  How many keep
> silent rather than risk one of his tirades?  There is a cost to permitting
> his tirades to continue unopposed.
Epidermic responses to anybody's behaviors (including mine) are not the answer. There are two simple things that one can do to promote new ideas: submitting posts on subjects that have not been already dealt using a consensually recognized language and ignoring people who have nothing useful to add. I have noticed that people who meet such description are in fact are very few. Received on Sat Jun 13 2009 - 11:31:36 CEST

Original text of this message