Re: Fabian Pascal, completely different?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:27:50 -0300

Bruce C. Baker wrote:

> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message
>

>>Paul Mansour wrote:
>>
>>>I miss Fabian Pascal's criticism of the database industry, and
>>>contributions to clear thinking on the relational model, as
>>>dbdebunk.com has been silent for some time now. I noticed recently,
>>>however, that he is posting (though not writing) on his other passion
>>>on a new site:
>>>
>>>http://fallofknowledgeandreason.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>>Interestingly (and, to me, unobjectionably) he seems to have done a
>>>180 degree turn in an extremely short time period - so short that I
>>>suspect that it is not unrelated to the silence on dbdebunk.
>>>
>>>I hope he doesn't have a similar conversion with respect to database
>>>theory and start promoting XML.
>>>

>>I miss them too and glad he's kept the dbdebunk archive online but I
>>wouldn't fault him if he forsook the db stuff for his own sake, after
>>seeing all the crap that various db illiterates, mystics and S-O salesmen
>>have thrown at him. He was very patient about some stupid emails I sent
>>him several times. I couldn't figure out much from going to the link
>>because it all seemed to have been written by other people - what do you
>>mean by 180 degrees?
>>
>>thanks,
>
> To perhaps excessively over-simplify, FP's political postings in
> dbdebunk.com had a decidedly leftist/liberal/anti-GWB slant, while the
> postings on http://fallofknowledgeandreason.blogspot.com/ seem to be
> diametrically the opposite.

I see no evidence to conclude this. FP posts links to articles as "evidence for the suicidal decline of the west." I suspect one has to consider that many of the links are offered in a similar spirit to http://www.dbdebunk.com/quotes2006.html

[snip] Received on Fri Jul 20 2007 - 15:27:50 CEST

Original text of this message