Re: A new proof of the superiority of set oriented approaches: numerical/time serie linear interpolation

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2007 10:01:52 -0700

On 3 mai, 18:45, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote: [Snipped]
> > I see no reason to cede the point he made. I have found optimizers far
> > better at optimizing self-joins than most programmers are.
>
> Maybe I cut him too much slack. If the past is any guide, optimizers will
> get better, and Brian won't. It's instructive that Both Cimode and Kevin
> provide actual data, while Brian merely states his claim.
For my defense, my purpose here is more to trigger questionning then truly seek for an answer.

> But even if he wins this particular race, he will not convince me that
> cursors are the way to go. I've seen too much evidence to the contrary.
I do not believe there should be a need to look for a winner.

I do not believe Brian tries to convince you. He tries to convince himself and seeks practical examples accordingly. Getting out of the procedural mindset may reveal both difficult and unintuitive.

[Snipped] Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 19:01:52 CEST

Original text of this message