Re: Navigation question

From: Walt <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:58:30 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1172534823.070193.104950_at_k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Walt wrote:
> > "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > place.

> > > I just did a google and I'm not sure whether you had trouble finding a
> > > link or if this is a test to see which link I would choose. We can
> > > start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
> >
> > I know how to google. I wanted to see what page you were reading from,
so
> > that we could read from the same page.

> Perhaps I should have been reading from a page.
>

> > The page you pointed me to is a good starting place. So you are talking
> > about protocols.
>

> No, I'm talking about layers and not specifically about the interfaces
> between them (protocols). I'm talking about that which takes place
> within the application layer, using the OSI terminology only to try to
> get the focus within the app layer, rather than below it. If the use
> of the OSI layers was distracting, then simply zero in on application
> software development, including all software (code, metadata,
> database, DBMS specs of any kind) that run or serve as input to
> executables running on top of an OS, for example.
>

> > > If I had been quizzed, I would have gotten the top, the bottom, and a
> > > few others by name, but I have never studied nor memorized these
> > > layers. I only referred to them in order to get the focus of the
> > > question on the application layer.

> > some

> > I don't understand the above. "Surely not" what? Do you mean "Surely
not
> > limited to areas where data is exchanged in some sort of formal
protocol"?
> > If that's the case, why did you refer to "the OSI Layers"?
>

> I hope I explained that satisfactorily. Since it is getting in the
> way, rather than helping, ignore OSI and focus on application software
> and the development thereof, including specification for and
> instructions to a DBMS, for example.
>

> > Database theory is highly relevant to conceptual
Again,

> > If you are not talking about protocols, then why are the OSI layers
> > relevant to your discussion?
> >
> > I'm terribly confused by what you have written.
> >
> > > strictly DBMS navigation). BTW, I didn't mention Pascal. I included
> > > JOG as the third.
> > >

> > Noted.

> > Cdd,
> > >
> > > Really? I thought they were opposed to "database navigation" in
> > > general, whether the application is navigating its way through the
> > > data or the DBMS is, or some combination. Hmmm. Perhaps one
> > > difficulty with the terms is that I consider DBMS specifications
> > > related to any application suite to be "part of" that application
> > > suite.
> > >

> Did this clarify at all? Thanks. --dawn

It clarified a little, but I'm still confused. You can in fact divide things into "layers" without regard to protocols, and the phrase "application layer" means something to me. However, your reference to the OSI layers suggested a common interpretation (between you and me) of the term "application layer", and you are using the phrase to convey something a little different than the OSI people intended.

Let's distinguish between "database data" and "application data". Data can exist in a database, in "working storage" (to use an old COBOL term), and be exchange across the interface.

Whether you navigate in working storage or not is entirely beside the point that Codd, Date, and JOG have made, if I understand that point at all. The point about user navigation interfering with both independence and optimization within the DBMS is about the navigation of database data.

And, just in case, "database data" does *not* refer to copies of database data in working storage. Received on Tue Feb 27 2007 - 15:58:30 CET

Original text of this message