Navigation question

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2007 07:43:44 -0800

In another thread "navigation" is again mentioned as undesirable. It often sounds as if folks are saying that there is data-based software written without using any navigation; that there truly is an option; that we can choose an approach with navigation or one without.

Although I have seen views often used, especially for reporting, I might be missing something big here (as some of you suspect) as I have never seen any data-based software application that does not perform navigations. Application software typically reads data from a database, takes a foreign key value, and reads in other data.

Picture a data entry screen with header information about a company and a list of orders presented to the user. Are applications written where the exclusive approach would be to read all of the data in and write the data back using a single view? Even if all views that could be updatable were, might applications still be written (properly) with navigation so that the application does not need to piece apart a cross-product of data for a typical presentation of that data?

Do large, production-quality, highly usable and useful, data-based, read-and-write software applications actually exist where there is no code in the software that navigates around the database?

Thanks in advance and Happy Valentines Day to all you brilliant, handsome, and kind people. --dawn Received on Wed Feb 14 2007 - 16:43:44 CET

Original text of this message