Re: What databases have taught me

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2006 16:59:44 -0700

topmind wrote:
> > > I can't think of a single statement that would be more antithetical to
> > > what the OO paradigm is about.
> >
> > Thank you for stepping forward to exemplify my recent statement that use
> > of the word 'paradigm' is the surest sign of a self-aggrandizing
> > ignorant. After all, 'paradigm' has many meanings where for each meaning
> > a better word exists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzword
> >
> > OO is a computational model and not a paradigm unless by 'paradigm' one
> > means an example of a computational model. Idiot. Further, it is a
> > computational model comprising a collection of features useful for
> > constructing large unpredictable state machines from small predictable
> > state machines or otherwise picked arbitrarily in the mid to late 1960's
> > for what seemed expedient at the time.
> >

> Lighten up, guys. "Paradigm" might not be precise, but few words are in
> software design. There are often may ways to say the same thing and
> many ways to interpret definitions and many ways to write a program to
> return the same answer.

Yeah, uh, I'm going to have to disagree with you there, topmind. Terminology may be precise or fuzzy. It is important that regularly practicing either becomes a habit. I suggest that one can, in part, judge the quality of the company (in a technical context) by the precision of their terminology.

> I suggest you try to focus on more practical issues, such as comparing
> solutions to realistic scenarios rather than get bogged down in a
> definition battle. When software design is turned into a science rather
> than an art, then revisit definitions. Until then, stop bickering over
> art.

I think the idea of software as art is something of an anti-intellectual one.

Marshall Received on Mon Jun 26 2006 - 01:59:44 CEST

Original text of this message